Descendants of W.Josiah Bowers Horn
Generation No. 1
1. W.JOSIAH BOWERS4 HORN (JAMES F3, JAMES BARTON2,JAMES BARTON1) was born 1844 in NC., and died 1865 in Tn. He married SARAH LITTLEJOHN, daughter of SAMUEL LITTLEJOHN and REBECCA ENGLISH.
Notes for W.JOSIAH BOWERS HORN: Josiah's real name was William Josiah Bowers, but I have listed him as Josiah Bowers Horn, to remind myself and others who he is in the family tree. We believe that Josiah's birth parents were actually James and Nancy Hicks Bowers from North Carolina. How he is related or came to be with the James Horn family is unknown, but we do know that they raised him as their son and that he took the Horn name. Everything about Josiah is a mystery. We were told that he was in the Union Army, and right after the war he was repairing a roof of a house, when someone shot and killed him. The strange thing is that I found a William J. Horn, with the same Military record, alive and well,with another wife and other children in 1870. We do know that our Josiah was in the war, and did fight for the Union Army, because we have a photograph of him in his uniform. In researching the unit that he fought with, I found that the Union Army found this unit to be so vile and murderous, that they felt that they did not deserve to be reconized by the Union Army. I truly wonder if Sally Littlejohn and Josiah were ever married, because I can't understand why she would name her son (who was born soon after Josiah died)after a Confederate Hero, Nathan Bedford Forest, when her dead husband fought for the Union. Older family members, that cousin Mary White and I visited in our research of our Horn ancestors, clearly didn't want to talk much about Josiah, which made us even more curious. More About W.JOSIAH BOWERS HORN: Burial: Unknown Fact 4: Sgt. D. Co. 6th Tn Calvery Fact 5: 6'2, Dark compl., Black hair, grey eyes. Fact 6: Enlisted Oct 24,1862 Fact 7: Promoted to Sgt., 10/1863, by Col. Hurst. Military: Civil War
More About SARAH LITTLEJOHN: Burial: Gravel Hill, Michie, TN Cause of Death: Cancer of Kidney
Child of W.JOSIAH HORN and SARAH LITTLEJOHN is: 2. i.WILLIAM BEDFORD FOREST5 HORN, b. October 31, 1865, Tn;d. November 18, 1935, Corinth,Ms.
Generation No. 2
2. WILLIAM BEDFORD FOREST5 HORN (W.JOSIAH BOWERS4, JAMES F3, JAMES BARTON2, JAMES BARTON1) was born October 31, 1865 in Tn,and died November 18, 1935 in Corinth,Ms. He married (1) FLORENCE BETSY RYAN November 15, 1882 in McNairy Co, Tn,daughter of PATRICK RYAN and AMANDA FORTUNE. He married (2) MILLIE NORTH Aft. 1917.
More About WILLIAM BEDFORD FOREST HORN: Burial: Farmington Cemt., Corinth Ms. Cause of Death: Influenza Fact 4: He added the E to Horn. Occupation: Farmer
Notes for FLORENCE BETSY RYAN: Florence asked that some of her children go squirrel hunting so she could make a stew, when they returned she was dead.
More About FLORENCE BETSY RYAN: Burial: Farmington Cemt., Corinth Ms.
Marriage Notes for WILLIAM HORN and FLORENCE RYAN: William and Florence moved from Michie Tn., to Corinth Ms. William married twice after her death. At the time of his death, William B. F., was married to a Millie North.
Children of WILLIAM HORN and FLORENCE RYAN are: 3. i. ALLEN LEE6 HORN. ii. BEDFORD GRADY HORN, m. (1) GEORGIA MORRIS; m. (2) OPHELIA JOHNSON. 4. iii. ETHELE HORN. 5. iv. MINNIE HORN. v. WILLIAM JOSIAH CLEVELAND HORN, m. (1) RUTHIE KNIGHT; m. (2) SARAH GRAY. 6. vi. VICTORIA HORN, b. July 16, 1884, McNairy Co, Tn; d. March 19, 1968, McNairy Co, Tn. 7. vii. MARY LOU HORN, b. December 28, 1885, McNairy Co, Tn; d. May 16, 1970, McNairy Co, Tn. viii. EUNICE HORN, b. 1889, McNairy Co, Tn; d. 1928, Iuka, Tishomingo Co., MS; m. CLIFTON MCNALLY. More About EUNICE HORN: Burial: Oak Grove Cem. Iuka, MS 8. ix. THOMAS LAFAYETTE HORN, b. December 31, 1890, McNairy Co, Tn; d. January 31, 1959, Bruce, Calhoun Co., MS. 9. x. FRANCIS MAE HORN, b. February 09, 1893, McNairy Co, Tn;d. July 03, 1980, Corinth, MS Alcorn Co.. 10. xi. HENRY ELMER HORN, b. April 18, 1898.
Generation No. 3
3. ALLEN LEE6 HORN (WILLIAM BEDFORD FOREST5, W.JOSIAH BOWERS4, JAMES F3, JAMES BARTON2, JAMES BARTON1). He married (1) HELEN SANDERS.He married (2) MINNIE STRICKLIN.
More About ALLEN LEE HORN: Burial: Farmington Cemt., Corinth Ms.
Children of ALLEN HORN and HELEN SANDERS are: i. NORVILLE7 HORN. ii. DOROTHY HORN. iii. FLORA HORN. iv. BETTY HORN.
Child of ALLEN HORN and MINNIE STRICKLIN is: v. DOROTHY FAY HORN7 HORN.
4. ETHELE6 HORN (WILLIAM BEDFORD FOREST5, W.JOSIAH BOWERS4, JAMES F3, JAMES BARTON2, JAMES BARTON1). She married JOHN JONES.
Children of ETHELE HORN and JOHN JONES are: i. RADY7 JONES. ii. BIRDIE JONES.
5. MINNIE6 HORN (WILLIAM BEDFORD FOREST5, W.JOSIAH BOWERS4, JAMES F3, JAMES BARTON2, JAMES BARTON1). She married JACK RAY.
Children of MINNIE HORN and JACK RAY are: i. CASEY7 RAY. ii. GLADYS RAY. iii. VIRGINIA RAY. iv. FRANCIS RAY. v. BETTY RAY. vi. MARY RAY. vii. DOROTHY RAY. viii. ETHELE RAY. ix. ILENE RAY. x. HENRY RAY. xi. WANDA RAY.
6. VICTORIA6 HORN (WILLIAM BEDFORD FOREST5, W.JOSIAH BOWERS4, JAMES F3, JAMES BARTON2, JAMES BARTON1) was born July 16, 1884 in McNairy Co, Tn, and died March 19, 1968 in McNairy Co, Tn. She married LEWIS JONES.
More About VICTORIA HORN: Burial: Pebble Hill Meth. Church Cem., Michie, TN
Children of VICTORIA HORN and LEWIS JONES are: i. VELMA7 JONES. ii. FREDDIE JONES. iii. LUCILLE JONES.
7. MARY LOU6 HORN (WILLIAM BEDFORD FOREST5, W.JOSIAH BOWERS4, JAMES F3, JAMES BARTON2, JAMES BARTON1) was born December 28, 1885 in McNairy Co, Tn, and died May 16, 1970 in McNairy Co, Tn. She married JIM RICHARDS.
More About MARY LOU HORN: Burial: Michie Cem., Michie, TN
Children of MARY HORN and JIM RICHARDS are: i. BERTHA7 RICHARDS. ii. CATHERINE RICHARDS. iii. EFFIE RICHARDS. iv. BEULIA RICHARDS. v. CORA RICHARDS. vi. FLORA RICHARDS.
More About FLORA RICHARDS: Fact 4: Cora and Flora were twins
8. THOMAS LAFAYETTE6 HORN (WILLIAM BEDFORD FOREST5, W.JOSIAH BOWERS4, JAMES F3, JAMES BARTON2, JAMES BARTON1) was born December 31, 1890 in McNairy Co, Tn, and died January 31, 1959 in Bruce, Calhoun Co., MS. He married (1) HETTIE REYNOLDS 1917. He married (2) MARY VIOLA BLACK December 24, 1927 in Yal Co, Ms, daughter of JOHN BLACK and ADA STARNES.
More About THOMAS LAFAYETTE HORN: Burial: Turkey Creek , Cal Co, Ms Cause of Death: Bilateral Bronchial Pneumonia Fact 4: Came to Cal. Co., with 1st wife's family. Fact 5: He dropped the E from Horn. Occupation: Farmer
More About MARY VIOLA BLACK: Burial: Turkey Creek , Cal Co, Ms Cause of Death: Brain Tumor.
Child of THOMAS HORN and HETTIE REYNOLDS is: i. HERBERT7 HORN, b. September 29, 1918, Alcorn Co., MS; d. September 25, 1996, Memphis, Shelby Co., TN; m. (1) MATTIE CADE;m. (2) BESSIE JACKSON.
Children of THOMAS HORN and MARY BLACK are: ii. JOHN W. L.7 HORN, b. January 19, 1929, Calhoun Co., MS; d. July 24, 1991, Memphis, Shelby Co., TN; m. (1) JIMMIE RAE MILLER, 1954,Yal Co., MS; m. (2) PEGGY WHITT, 1963, Memphis, Shelby Co., TN. More About JOHN W. L. HORN: Burial: Turkey Creek , Cal Co, Ms Cause of Death: Pheumonia, Septicimia Fact 4: Sargent, Medic Fact 5: 3 Bronze Stars Military: Korean War Occupation: Mechanic
iii. DESSIE MAE HORN, b. April 08, 1930, Yalobusha Co., MS; m. MORRIS DUNN, November 28, 1948, Calhoun Co., MS. More About MORRIS DUNN: Burial: Concord Cemt.,Cal. Co.,Ms. iv. HUBERT LESLIE HORN, b. June 17, 1931. v. BESSIE LEE HORN, b. April 08, 1933; m. SONNY WHITE. vi. CLYDE HORN, b. June 15, 1934; d. April 02, 1942, Calhoun Co, Ms. More About CLYDE HORN: Burial: Turkey Creek , Cal Co, Ms Cause of Death: Blood Poisening vii. HELEN LOUISE HORN, b. November 27, 1936; m. J.W. JENKINS, JR., September 21, 1952, Calhoun Co, Ms. More About J.W. JENKINS, JR.: Burial: Concord Cemt.,Cal. Co.,Ms.
9. FRANCIS MAE6 HORN (WILLIAM BEDFORD FOREST5, W.JOSIAH BOWERS4,JAMES F3, JAMES BARTON2, JAMES BARTON1) was born February 09, 1893 in McNairy Co, Tn, and died July 03, 1980 in Corinth, MS Alcorn Co..She married OSCAR BARNES.
More About FRANCIS MAE HORN: Burial: Clark Family Cem., Corinth, MS
Children of FRANCIS HORN and OSCAR BARNES are: i. MARTHA7 BARNES. ii. MARY LOU BARNES. iii. J. P. BARNES. iv. R.C. BARNES.
10. HENRY ELMER6 HORN (WILLIAM BEDFORD FOREST5, W.JOSIAH BOWERS4, JAMES F3, JAMES BARTON2, JAMES BARTON1) was born April 18, 1898. He married KATHERINE MARLAR.
More About HENRY ELMER HORN: Burial: Kendrick Church of Christ, Corinth, MS Children of HENRY HORN and KATHERINE MARLAR are: i. ALTON7 HORN. ii. JEAN HORN. iii. NELDA HORN. iv. SONNY HORN.
I'd love to
hear from anyone who has information on, or is
is connected to this family. You can see the descendant tree for this
family or email me, by clicking below.
I have ended this report with my father, John W. L. Horn.